Today's episode features a question from Marcelo: "Now that I'm at an intermediate level of English, which is better - intensive or extensive reading?"
In this episode:
- What are extensive/intensive reading?
- What are the benefits of each?
- How language teachers use these approaches
- The "intermediate plateau" and how to break through
- Why speaking alone isn't enough to help you reach an advanced level in a language
Strategies for extensive reading:
- Make sure choose something to read that you're interested in
- Try not to use a dictionary whilst you're reading
- Read things that are lower than your current level
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
"Graded readers" are books that have been simplified. Here's a great example of one.
Today's featured resource
Alex Rawlings talking about reading at the Polyglot Gathering 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgQZfS_BMVo
Do you have a question?
Ask me your language learning questions by clicking here, and I'll do my best to feature it on the show! Also, please subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Win a copy of my course!
To celebrate the launch of the podcast, I'm giving away 3 free copies of my Language Learning Foundations video course, worth $97 each! To be in with a chance of winning, simply head over to iTunes, search for the "I Will Teach You A Language Podcast" in the store, and leave me an honest review and rating for the show! After episode 10 of the podcast, I'll choose 3 lucky winners from around the world!
Thanks for listening
Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the podcast! If you've got any comments about the show then please leave them in the "comments" section below! If you'd like to help me out, then I'd love it if you could...
iTunes reviews in particular really help the rankings of the podcast and help me to reach other aspiring language learners out there! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated, and I read every single one. :)
See you in the next episode of the I Will Teach You A Language podcast!